Saturday, April 02, 2005

All out for 143!

Well my five months in India have come to an end, overall I've really enjoyed it and looking back I've managed quite a lot. I've been to the Himalayas, watched the sun sink into the Arabian sea, bounced along the desert on a camel, hiked in the Coorg forest, cycled through the ruins of Hampi, seen the Golden Temple, Taj Mahal and the Sri Meenakshi temple in Madurai, wandered through markets, go-karted in Goa and met some good people besides a lot more.

While the photos give an impression of India, they do so omiting the smells of the spice gardens, the sounds of the minarets, the touch of the white sands underfoot and the tastes of the spicy Indian cuisine.
As Benjamin Disraeli said about travel - "I've seen more than I remember and I'll remember more than I've seen"
However it does feel like time for a change and so I'm moving on to Singapore.

Here's the final list of places I visited:

Delhi, Amritsar, Dalhousie, McLeod Ganj, Chandigarh, Agra, Jaipur, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Panaji, Anjuna, Palolem, Colva, Mangalore, Madikeri, Kakkabe, Mysore, Ooty, Conoor, Kochi, Kollam, Alappuzha, Kottayam, Periyar, Munnar, Madurai, Trichy, Pondicherry, Mamallapuram, Bangalore, Hampi
and Chennai

I guestimate I've travelled around 7000km in my time here.

And just for good measure, here's the books I read while doing it:

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.

Wizard of Oz

Alice in Wonderland

The Man Who Was Thursday by J.K. Chesterton.

White Fang by Jack London.

The Sea Wolf by Jack London.

Widow for One Year by John Irving.

Fury by Salman Rushdie.

The Ground Beneath Her Feet by Salman Rushdie.

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

Deception Point by Dan Brown.

Zeke & Ned by Larry McMurty & Diana Ossana.

The Autumn of the Patriarch by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Yellow Dog by Martin Amis.

The Rhineman Exchange by Robert Ludlum.

The Osterman Weekend by Robert Ludlum.

Son of the Circus by John Irving.

Every Second Counts by Lance Armstrong.

Timbuktu by Paul Auster.

Papillion by Henri Charriere.

The Game by Jack London.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Prisig.

No comments: