Sunday, May 12, 2024

Return to Riga

 All roads lead to....Riga. Well they do when I want to go from Tartu to Vilnius in Lithuania, it's certainly the most straightforward way. As the bus gets towards Riga, sirens are heard, we stop and on the opposite side of the road a large convoy of low lift lorries carrying tanks and supplies are heading to the border.

 I head to the excellent Lido which has branches dotted throughout Latvia, it's a grab a plate and point sort of place, then the cashier just adds it all up and charges you. A lot of locals and tourists eat here, you won't go hungry and it's cheap, unless you keep heaping food on your plate!

Zuzeum aims to fill void due to lack of national mordern art museum. Bit hit and miss for me, think there is usually another exhibit also but changing over.

Also headed to the very large Riga central market, which houses all sort knick knacks and fresh food, the fish hall smelling of smoked fish. I had Solyanka soup in an edible bowl, it was more moulded dough than bread, bit plasticy!

For something different I headed back across the Daugava, and in the middle of an industrial area found the large old building that now houses Drifta Halle. I went for a spin on an electric drift trike, take a while to get used to it. Let's just say I don't think I'll be appearing in The Fast & The Furious anytime soon.

No comments: